Dear Fellow Sons:
The 19th International Sons of the Desert Convention is almost here! Just a few reminders:
- You need to wear your name badge and lanyard at all times during the convention.
- Buses need to — and will – leave on time. Please be on them by the time posted in your program. They will be full. When you are on a location tour, take the same seats on the same bus each time you get on. No worries on days when buses are just shuttling us around.
- All persons with rented scooters or wheelchairs need to be on the first big bus on Wednesday and Thursday. Your scooters will stay with the bus and be dropped off at the hotel on Wednesday since you will not need them on the mini-bus ride back to the hotel.
- Sony Studios is a walking tour that lasts almost two hours. Dress for the weather since you will be outside most of the time. Smoking, cell phone usage, video and audio recordings are not allowed on the tour. Still photo areas will be designated by the tour guides.
- Be sure to tip the Sony Studio tour guides.
- The lunch stop (a turkey or veggie sandwich) at the Sony Complex will be only about 45 minutes.
- Be mindful of our celebrity guests. I am sure they are thrilled to sign autographs under appropriate situations. On Friday, some may bring their own photos for sale. Other photos also will be available. Please limit your request to two autographs per person.
- The Hollenbeck Park stop for lunch on Thursday (where Men O’ War was filmed) will include Ollie Burgers, Stanley Dogs and Mae Busch Veggie Burgers. The 90-minute stop will feature continuous screenings of Men O’ War and the Pee Wee Contest. Plan accordingly.
- Costumes are optional for the Grand Banquet (anything from a Laurel and Hardy or Hal Roach film or that era). Pajamas are optional at the Pottsville Picnic (we will stop at the Music Box steps enroute to Pottsville). And, you should wear your convention T-shirt or a red shirt for the Saturday Culver City tour.
- You are in the heart of Hollywood. Be aware of the people around you and your belongings. Trust no one!
- If you are taking photos of or with one of the many characters on Hollywood Boulevard, negotiate a price before you take the picture.
- When we return from the tours on opening day, don’t forget the mixer on the mezzanine level. It is a cash bar only. This will be the first chance we have to all be together. Then grab a quick dinner on your own (I suggest pizza or a fast-food stop) before going to the Egyptian Theatre.
- The Egyptian Theatre doors open one hour before show time. The public is invited to the screenings, too, so get there early for a good seat.
- You must show your badge outside the Egyptian’s main doors to get your theatre ticket and pick up a program detailing the films we will see. You must secure your ticket by show time (7:30 p.m. on Wednesday and 6 p.m. on Sunday) as our volunteers want to see the show, too. If you do not arrive on time, you will need to purchase a ticket at the box office.
- A good rule of thumb throughout the convention is … arrive early! This is especially true for the Wednesday morning tours – buses will leave immediately when they are filled.